domingo, 7 de septiembre de 2008

Is Google pulling some strings?

Today Google has drawn my attention to something I never even was thinking about before. In one of my previous articles I wrote about freedom of speech. I also mentioned something about freedom of information.

How about freedom of search?

My Blog is hosted by Google. I never doubted them for one second. But then something strange happened with a link I made in the article I wrote about "pulling some strings". The first thing I noted was that, after adding the link, my Blog suddenly appeared as numer one of the search results. So, the link to a Bilderberg Conspiracy Theorist website just dropped down to number 11 of the results. I adapted the text therefore a little bit.

Today I tried the link again and saw to my surprise that my Blog was not longer found. Ofcourse I felt slightly disappointed and I wanted to change my text once more. I expected a result on number 10 that would refer again to the Bilderberg Conspiracy Site. But that reference had disappeared as well. Searching between next 30 results, the only conclusion I could draw is that even searches are being controlled. I was truly amazed. I would have expected monitoring but censorship????

So, I am going to do an experiment now with different Google sites. I am curious what will happen.

  1. Spain (my original one)

  2. The world (or USA version)

  3. The Netherlands

  4. Belgium

  5. France

  6. The United Kingdom

  7. Russia

  8. Australia

They all seem to use the same database and more or less the same search path. No strange things. But remember the link I mentioned in the Blog about "Pulling some Strings" to AOL. They are "enhanced by" Google as they say. To my surprise I get different results. As it is today, this Blog is number one and on number 3 a link to some Bilderberg site. Will this change pretty soon too?




I just clicked the fourth link again (Belgium). It opened with the known results, but subsequently I hit the search button again without changing anything. And got different results ........?? Is this a bug?


As you can see, I changed the browser too (Google Chrome), just to eliminate the possibility of cookies. Google, I am enjoying your hospitality, I love your products and I will not start some deep investigation about this subject. As I already believe that you always have to check and doublecheck, finding out about censorship does not surprise me too much and the internet (at this moment) still gives us some freedom to find what we are looking for without being manipulated too much.

The best proof is that you are reading this. But I agree with the composer of this website:

"Contrary to earlier utopian theories of the Internet, it takes very little effort for governments to cause certain information simply to vanish for a huge number of people."

No hay comentarios: